Friday 15 April 2011

Buddhist Symbolism

In preparation for my drawing session this evening, I spent some time looking at various bits and pieces that I thought might be worth including, and couldn't help but notice the striking resemblence between the Buddhist mandala and the Tally Ho decks...


These playing cards are pretty much mandala back designs. Notice on the fan backs (the top deck) the circle in each corner around the central design and how similar it is to the Tibetan mandala above...


I have always considered tallys to have the most beautiful and transcendental of all playing card back designs, and this kind of makes a bit more sense when viewed from this perspective. I wonder if the artists at USPCC were aware of this when they designed the deck all those years ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment