Saturday 9 April 2011

Deck review: black tally ho fan backs

The Black Tally Ho Fan Backs are the least customised of all the decks I purchased, being that they are essentially a black version of the standard deck, but with a double-backer gaff included in the pack for the houdini fooler. Most of these decks seem to contain double-backers, and thinking about it, it's probably the most useful closest-to-being-normal gaff, if you just had to pick one. I'll probably be gunning for a double-backer in my deck as a result. Now down to business...

Box:

The box is traditional, bold, striking and very crisp. It's packed full of design, single colour and text-heavy. The side panels are in keeping with the design style, very bold and crisp. This box is one of my favourites, I much prefer it to the Bicycle box, although I am a fan of that design also. This one just works! And looks great in black, it adds to the boldness.




Backs:

What can I say? My all-time fave :-) Tally Ho Fans are the greatest all-around back design on a playing card, in my opinion. They look great close-up, but come in to their own when viewed from a distance (like in the opening credits of David Blaine Street Magic where they're scattered on the pavement). The circular globes in each of the four corners looks awesome in a packet fan (prominent artwork in the corners is a recurring theme in the best-looking decks), and the repeating theme of circles works a treat. Black looks OK on these backs, but red and blue still kill it in my opinion.

What's really going on with that artwork?

From a distance it's just a pretty pattern, but on close inspection every back design tells a story. This one appears to be a dove in a tree surrounded by a flowering shrub. The fans that give birth to the name are in the middle pointing out like four compass points (see?).



Fronts:

I have to be honest, as much as I love the tallys, I don't like the joker artwork and the ace of spades design is so-so. Too traditional and big and Navy-like (whatever that means). The fronts are standard pips and court cards in regular colours.




Overall verdict:

Nice deck! Box looks great in black but still prefer the cards in blue or red. Double-backer is a sweet addition. This deck will always be a gold standard cos it looks and feels so damn awesome in the hands!

2 comments:

  1. i agree on everything you say bar one thing, the box design, i find the box dull and unsatersfying and i think it really needs to have more than one colour, but to give credit to the boxes, at least they have the card artwork on the back of the card which is needed for all decks of cards (which is the only reason i dont like the new bikes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. horses for courses...

    I understand where you're coming from, single colour text-heavy design isn't for everyone! For what it is it's great I think.

    Thanks for the interest :-)

    ReplyDelete